BAHÍA JUNQUILLAL WILD LIFE REFUGE
The Bahia Junquillal National Wild Life Refuge(RSBJ), is an area of 505 hectares, located 4 kilometers from Cuajiniquil and 16 kilometers from La Cruz. Shows great biological richness counting with 7 different coastal ecosystems, where water is present. Also, offers habitat and food to a great variety of organisms and groups of animals, it is an ideal site for bird watching and wild animals like the spider monkey, white face monkey, iguanas, racoons, lizards among others.
This refuge holds a tranquil Beach 2 kilometers long with exceptional beauty. It is the only Beach in the whole canton of La Cruz that offers a Parking lot, camping zone, tables, showers, bathrooms. Because of being located within a conservation area.
It is a place special for families!
Trails on the refuge
The place counts with 3 small trails through an ecosystem of dry forest.
- El Carao Trail : Suitable for all public, has a distance of 600 mts on a loop. The main objective of this trail is to be able to observe the regeneration area and the dry forest that typifies it, also birds may be watched or heard like parakeets, common black hawks, magpie jays, parrots among others( Conservation Area Guanacaste 2021).
- Estero Seco Trail (Dry estuary) : A trail suitable for all public, has a distance of 800 mts in a linear form, duration of approximately 20 minutes, this trail counts with many coastal organisms, you can easily observe crabs, racoons, hawks, and fish.(Conservation Area Guanacaste 2021).
- La Laguna trail (The lagoon): A trail suitable for all public , has a distance of 800 mts on a semi lineal form. Among the attractions are the lagoon, views to the beach. It is possible to observe birds and mammals. On the rainy season you may observe many coastal organisms and easily observe migrant birds on the lagoon. (Conservation Area Guanacaste, 2021)
- Camping Area : This area has a capacity for 80 people, on a well dedicated and marked area, also, some spaces count with a series of facilities as tables, grills and washing basins. This activity should follow the recommendations of the staff on the area.
- Picnic area or area for the day: located south of the refuge, each space marked and offers some facilities, tables, grills, and basin.
- Campers area: a zone marked for camper vehicles.
- Bathrooms : located 50 meters from the information booth for the use of the one day visitors and for the ones using the camping sites.
- Information booth
Admission rates and services
Visitors Service hours : from Wednesday to Sunday from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.